maximum file descriptors not higher than 983

Weiersmüller Mathias (KIPO 14) mathias.weiersmueller at credit-suisse.com
Thu Dec 20 12:14:56 UTC 2007

Marek and Alex,

thank you very much for your answers!

I changed the parameters as you specified:

==================================
Here is what I do for Ubuntu 2.6.15-26-server:

1) Edit /etc/security/limits.conf:
*                soft    nofile          16384
*                hard    nofile          16384

2) If you compile Polygraph on this box, then edit /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h and /usr/include/bits/typesizes.h to #define __FD_SETSIZE  as 16384

- logged out and logged in again for the limits change to be picked up
- compiled it and ran it on the same box => voila and heureka, worked!

=== snip ===
 FDs: 16384 out of 16384 FDs can be used; safeguard limit: 15878
=== snip ===

Thank you again - I did the most of the changes before, but missed to adjust posix_types.h .

Cheers and have a quiet holiday season!

Mathias