needed help in interpreting results

Piotr Kadziolka PKadziolka at acppharma.pl
Tue Aug 26 19:49:35 UTC 2008

Hi,

Some time ago I've made series of tests on Squid-2.5STABLE5. I wanted
confirm and verify results obtained by Duane Wessels in his book about
Squid. Duane measured how Squid performace can depends on filesystem
performance. I took all tests on the same machine in  identical
environment but I obtained strange results for COSS (coss.png).

Could someone interpret this results? Is anyone who can give me
explaination about this periodical peak in response time? Adjustment
algorithm in the workload (attached file pm4-pf2.pg) take care about
misses and hits and take action when value exceeds or fell below,
respectively, 3.0 and 0.25 sec. At second image (diskd.png) which contains
trace for diskd there is no similar peak.

Thanks in advance,
Peter