PolyMix-3 or PolyMix-4 on current linux boxes

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Jan 26 18:40:33 UTC 2011

On 01/21/2011 06:10 AM, Rafael Xavier de Souza wrote:

> Before getting into technical details of the issues, I was wondering if
> anyone has been able to run Web Polygraph PolyMix-3 or PolyMix-4
> workloads on nowaday linux boxes?
>
> Is it still live?

Hello Rafael,

    AFAIK, PolyMix workloads still work.

Due to many Polygraph changes since they were standardized, PolyMix
workloads can no longer reproduce the exact same traffic patters used
during cache-offs. On the other hand, most of cache-off companies and/or
products are now dead, merged, or changed so much that reproducing old
numbers is probably pointless (a determined tester still can, of course,
reproduce those old results by using old Polygraph and OS releases).

The workloads we see in the wild are usually customized to match the
expected proxy deployment environment. We often use PolyMix, WebAxe, or
their pieces as building blocks for other workloads. In general, I do
not see anything wrong with starting with PolyMix or WebAxe and later
customizing them to suite your needs.

If something does not work for you, please file a bug report at
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/polygraph

HTH,

Alex.