Busty requests

unjc email unjc.email at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:02:19 UTC 2011

We are testing the NTLM authentication with 200 robots workload and
slowly ramp it up. We saw 120 bursting new requests from new
connections in 1 second at around 10th minutes, which overloaded the
authentication helpers in Squid.

It seems like the robots are clumping together with their
authentication requests… we are reauthenticating about every 30
seconds, so we don’t expect to see more then a handful of
authentication requests in any one second, but we are seeing them very
bursty.

I hope this is clear enough that you might be able to shed some light.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Jacky