polygraph rrdtool

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Nov 15 15:35:29 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 11:48 AM, Ricardo Barbosa wrote:

> I've been analyzing the polygraph and saw that he has a
> command"polygraph-polyrrd", this would be to generate graphs? Is there a
> manual on how to use it? Not found on the official website.

Hello Ricardo,

    It has been a long time since I have seen polyrrd used...

We briefly document what polyrrd is on its man page. For example:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/polygraph-polyrrd.1.html

The tool requires a running udp2tcpd daemon, which is a part of the
runtime monitoring tool set:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/polygraph-udp2tcpd.1.html

You will need MRTG-like software to visualize data logged by polyrrd. We
do not provide such software, but others do.

Here is the corresponding change log entry (v2.6.0):

> - added polyrrd tool to supply run-time Polygraph stats to the rrd
>   tool; rrd tool is a "better MRTG" software for displaying run-time
>   stats in graphical form:
>   http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
> - added rrd-cgi.sh as a sample file to use with polyrrd and rrd tool

Most likely, modern test reports generated by polygraph-reporter contain
essentially the same information. If so, polyrrd's primary value is in
facilitating visualizing test information as the test runs (as opposed
to post-mortem analysis performed by polygraph-reporter).

HTH,

Alex.