Understanding the timestamp of ltrace

Franck Youssef fry at open.ch
Mon Jul 15 18:15:35 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am trying to generate log traces of err_xact.count myself, using the polygraph-ltrace --objects.

I would like to sample these values with a sampling interval of 20 seconds.

To my understanding, that should be feasible with the --time_unit option. However, when running ltrace with different --time_unit values] I always obtain the same output.
Furthermore, when printing the 'time' object using --time_unit 1s, I obtain some kind of a funny timestamp prefixed with a dash: "-2147483620.50"  (= Fri Dec 13 21:46:19 MET 1901 using date -d @…).

What does that timestamp mean, how could I obtain a "natural" unix timestamp and how could I modify the sampling interval?

Best,
Franck

--
franck youssef