Is a client robot an OS thread?

Pavel Kazlenka pavel.kazlenka at measurement-factory.com
Mon Sep 9 16:53:50 UTC 2013

Hi Alberto,

On 09/09/2013 04:40 AM, Alberto Klocker wrote:
> Hi,
> We run tests on a 10 Gb network environment with Polygraph as one of the benchmarking tools but have found we are hitting 100% CPU usage on both the poly-client and poly-server which would indicate we need to spread the processes and systems out.
> How well does the reporting engine handle log files from multiple sources?
> Say I were to script a system that launches two or three instances of the client and server, will the reporting engine be capable of combining the results into one report?
All the polygraph reporting tools (like polygraph-lx, polygraph-ltrace,
polygraph-reporter) support multiple logs aggregation. E.g. if you have
logs from three client workers named clt.1.log, clt.2.log, clt.3.log you
can extract statistics from them simply using
$ polygraph-lx clt.1.log clt.2.log clt.3.log. Same for others. However,
there is a minor bug that prevents from ltrace tool extracting logs from
both server and client sides in one run:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/polygraph/+bug/1204983
> Would it be better I write something that "merges" the results together?
As a result of written above, you don't have to write anything.
> I'm curious to see what others have done to ramp Polygraph up above its single core limits.
> We can get 10 Gb throughput with large files but my goal is to find maximum, stable concurrent connections.
> Any help is much appreciated!
Sure Alberto. There is a number of actions that could help you increase
polygraph performance:

1) Run multiple instances of workers and bind them to different cpu
cores. E.g if you have 2 cpu cores on machine that runs
polygraph-client, run two clients like:
taskset -c 0 polygraph-client --log clt.1.log ...
taskset -c 1 polygraph-client --log clt.2.log ...

2) Bind tune cpu affinity for NIC interrupts to cores different from the
ones that already occupied by polygraph workers (clients or servers).
E.g. if you have 4 cpu cores, consider to run three polygraph-client
instances bound to cores 0-2 and bind NIC interrupts to core 3. This
article should help you with SMP affinity in linux:
http://www.alexonlinux.com/smp-affinity-and-proper-interrupt-handling-in-linux
. There is no good formula to say what should be ratio between workers'
and NIC's cores, but top output could give you the clues.

3) If you have 'virtual' (hyper-threading provided) cores, it's not a
good idea to bind polygraph workers to both 'real' and 'virtual'
instances of the same core.

4) If you have enough RAM, consider writing  test results on in-memory
FS like tmpfs
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt).

5) Tuning linux TCP stack for 10G networking is important part too. I'd
use this document as a guide:
http://landley.net/kdocs/ols/2009/ols2009-pages-169-184.pdf .

Best wishes,
Pavel