SMP support

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jul 15 17:33:01 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 09:58 AM, unjc email wrote:

> In the recent log change, I notice the latest private release has
> mentioned about "better SMP support".  I would like to know more about
> the newly added feature.  How capable does the latest version support
> SMP?  Does it utilize multiple cores so that it is not necessary to
> start multiple Polyclt / Polysrv processes on a single box?

Not quite. Polygraph v4.8.0 makes it easier to use multiple processes on
the same box. Here is a list of the related features:

>   * Added --worker command line option to specify SMP worker ID.
>   * Support %worker macro in command line option values.
>   * The local r.n.g. seed value now defaults to worker ID. This
>     change does not affect old test scripts running new Polygraph
>     versions because the default worker ID is one, same as the old
>     local r.n.g. default.
>   * Added worker() PGL function to return the current worker ID.
>   * "${worker}" macro support in ips2names, credentials, URL traces.
>   * pgl2ldif --worker ID command line option.

The plan is for Polygraph v4.9.0 to start those multiple processes
automatically so that you do not have to write a script to do that, but
there is currently no sponsor for that feature.

HTH,

Alex.