Client process killed by kernel

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun May 1 20:35:02 UTC 2016

On 04/29/2016 03:17 PM, perf tester wrote:

> Web Polygraph client (4.9.0) is terminated by kernel due to memory
> exhaustion if the test is run for longer periods. If I add more memory
> to the client, the test can run for another few hours and eventually got
> killed. Are there any known memory leaks? Appreciate your help.

The first thing to check is whether your test is queuing more and more
robot transactions because of the configured open connection limit
(Robot.open_conn_lmt). Look at the "concurrent HTTP transaction level"
graph in the generated HTML report or use polygraph-ltrace to plot
wait.level.last statistics over time.

If the number of queued transactions grows over time, then this is not a
memory leak but memory exhaustion -- you essentially told Polygraph to
use more memory than you have. You can combat that problem by decreasing
load, configurating Robot.wait_xact_lmt, increasing/removing
open_conn_lmt, and/or adjusting other workload parameters.

HTH,

Alex.