Polymon packet format

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Oct 24 20:45:12 UTC 2018

On 10/19/18 12:14 AM, William Law wrote:

> I couldn't see anywhere that described the polymon udp (or tcp via
> udp2tcpd) packet format, and can't seem to get my head around the code in
> Polymon for decoding it.

IIRC, we used the BEEP protocol[1] for polymon messages, but the field
details were never published, are not a part of Polygraph interface, and
are likely to change if somebody sponsors a refreshment of that old and
rarely used feature. The source code remains the primary source of
information about polymon packets.

Back in the day, we restricted ourselves to text consoles, and we were
concerned about processing and bandwidth overheads. The modern way to
implement the same monitoring functionality would be based on something
like WebSocket connections feeding JSON objects to a client-side
Javascript/HTML5 app. Please ping me if you want Factory to work on this.

Thank you,

Alex.
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BEEP