polymix-3.pg

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at measurement-factory.com
Fri Sep 30 21:57:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 23:59:18 +0400, Dmitry Kurochkin <dmitry.kurochkin at measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> Hi Sarah.
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:08:05 -0400, Sarah Milani <sarah.milani at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Everbody
> >
> > *i plan to use polymix-3.pg to run a performance test of my squid proxy.
> > **I am using the same machine to run  client and server, (*initially)* in
> > the same proxy **network .
>
> PolyMix are complex workloads with many Robots and Servers.  Usually, a
> single machine is not enough to run high load tests because Polygraph
> reaches CPU or network limits.
>
> Consider using the latest version of PolyMix workloads - PolyMix-4.
>
> > Before *run polymix, i already read this :
> > http://www.measurement-factory.com/docs/PolyMix-3/ , however i still have
> > some questions :
> >

> You should also read PolyMix-3 documentation at [1].
>
> Also, please keep in mind that PolyMix documentation was written for an
> old Polygraph version.  Many new features were added to Polygraph since
> then.  In particular Polygraph client and server now create required
> aliases on start (though, client and server address creation may
> conflict if both are run on the same system, use the aka tool to create
> them manually in this case).
>
> To set PolyMix-3 parameters, you should copy polymix-3.pg from Polygraph
> installation (e.g. Debian package has it in
> /usr/share/polygraph/workloads/) or tarball somewhere and edit it.
>

> > 1 - Where i set objects sizes (html, figures and download) ?
>
> Everything is configured in the workload.  Polimix-3.pg includes other
> workloads which have all the details.
>
> Object sizes are defined in contents.pg.  But you should not edit it
> directly.  Instead copy polymix-3.pg somewhere and put all changes
> there.  You can set PGL fields like:

>   // include all the boring details
>   #include "polymix-3-guts.pg"
>
>   // customize some fields
>   cntImage.size = exp(10KB);

Sorry, this would not work.  Since cntImage is _used_ in
polymix-3-guts.pg, you cannot customize it after use.  The Server agent,
for example, will retain the wring/old settings.  There are no pointers
in PGL.

If guts customization is needed, a better approach is to literally
include the polymix-3-guts.pg file (i.e., insert its contents) into your
copy of polymix-3.pg and then edit whatever is needed.

Regards,
  Dmitry