object size

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at measurement-factory.com
Fri May 11 16:39:20 UTC 2012

Hi Shahab.

shahab bakhtiyari <shahab371 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys
>
> Yet another question for me(thank you very very much for previous
>
> I am wondering if the objects' size used in webaxe-1(or generally in all )
> workload(s)  are realistic? or how much they are close to true size?
>
> I mean ,  using exp(4.5kb) with mean4.5kb and  max 53kb   for image
>  objects  sounds too little, is'nt that?
> or 300kb for downloads? am I totally wrong?

You may be right.  I do not think these sizes match average object or
image on the Internet.  But usually what you are interested in is
simulating *your* traffic properties.

The numbers in the provided workloads should be a good starting point.
But for best results you should create distributions that match your
needs.  See [1] for details on user-defined distributions.  Creating
proper distributions for your tests may be difficult.  You will need
some existing data for it (e.g. Squid access logs).  Then you analyze it
with some auxiliary tools to get percentages for distributions (for
Squid access logs you might use access2pgl tool from
src/tools/access2poly/).

Regards,
  Dmitry

[1] http://www.web-polygraph.org/docs/reference/tabdistr.html