SMP Workloads

Michael Hendrie pmix at hendrie.id.au
Fri May 19 03:07:56 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I'm experimenting with using SMP in workloads in v4.9.0 to increase the capacity of my test rig.  I notice without SMP I have multiple idle CPU cores on the host machines so expecting to see significant increase in performance.

I have tried multiple different configuration but consistently see console output on the client reporting connection errors and when I check one of the server one of the worker processes will have silently terminated.  This doesn't appear to happen with any particular pattern but does occur more often than not making it not possible to start a test with any confidence in SMP mode.

I'm seeing this same behaviour with both SSL and HTTP workloads, SSL workloads was the main driver to move to SMP as they are more taxing on the host but also tried HTTP to rule it out.

Here's the bench config that is intended to start multiple workers as I understand from the changelog.

Bench sslBench = {
	client_side = {
		max_host_load = 300/sec;
		max_agent_load = 0.4/sec;
		addr_space = [ 'lo::172.17.60-123.1-250/22' ];
		hosts =  [ '172.16.0.60-62' ];
	};
	server_side = {
		max_host_load = client_side.max_host_load;
		max_agent_load = 0.4/sec;
		addr_space = [ 'lo::172.17.188-251.0-250:443/22' ];
		hosts = [ '172.16.0.64-66' ] ** 2;
	};
};

 Entire workload also attached also.

Any suggestions on how I can get some stability in the SMP tests or other users facing the same issue?  I'm running on a RHEL 6.x clone OS.

Thanks,

Michael