DNS Config Tool with Mulitple Address Maps

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at measurement-factory.com
Tue Mar 15 21:21:04 UTC 2011

Hi Michael.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:40:32 +1030, Michael Hendrie <pmix at hendrie.id.au> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am attempting to use a single configuration file to run a Polygraph workload that contains both normal HTTP and SSL robots/servers.  This appears to be working well, when I start the server process I see it creates the HTTP Server agents listening on port 80 and the SSL server agents listening on port 443.  I have started the client process and this loads the configuration file without complaining about errors.
>
> The issue is generating the DNS configuration file for BIND.  When I run the polygraph-dns-cfg tool it errors out complaining about multiple address maps being used.  My understanding from http://www.web-polygraph.org/docs/reference/pgl/types.html#type:docs/reference/pgl/types/AddrMap is that multiple address maps should be able to be used.
>
> The errors is:
>
> bash-3.2# /usr/local/bin/polygraph-dns-cfg --config ../mymixed.pg
> ../mymixed.pg: must use() exactly one address map, but 2 maps were used

Currently, this is a limitation of dns-cfg tool. Polygraph client
supports multiple address maps but the DNS configuration tool does not.

As a workaround, you may use dns-cfg multiple times use()ing different
address maps in PGL workload and merge output by hand. Note: Only BIND
configuration (i.e. dns-cfg console output) needs merging, individual
zone files (e.g. tst and tst.rev) do not need any changes.

Added to FAQ on Launchpad [1].

Regards,
  Dmitry

[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/polygraph/+faq/1512