questions about report and poly-server

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at measurement-factory.com
Wed Nov 16 16:05:21 UTC 2011

Hello.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:55:35 -0700, Chengyu Fan <chengy.fan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi~
> When I try the test, I use downtime-2.pg in the workloads.And I use the log
> files to generate the report.
> But I find that some phrase don't have the all the data.
> For example, I generate report just for phrase "meas",

You run the reporter with "--phase meas" parameter, right?

> but in the hit
> ratios, I can only find "offered DHR" in the graph, No "measured DHR".

What about the table above the graphs on the "hit ratios" page?  Does it
have 0 for measured DHR?  Or does it match the offered DHR?  Do BHR
graphs look good?

Sometime you do not see the line on a graph because it is covered by
another line or is 0.

Note that if you are running without proxy, the measured DHR is 0.

FWIW I have run the downtime-2 workload with a Squid proxy and I see
both measured and offered DHR on the graphs.

> Also, I have "first byte read" in "client byte latency histogram", but no
> "last byte written".

That is ok.  It means that Robots send requests without delays
i.e. basically at the same moment a transaction is started.  Note that
there is a table with aggregated byte latency stats above the graphs on
the response times page.  You should have all zeros in Last request byte
written cells (except for Max, perhaps).

> Is this normal?

In general it is ok that some stats or graphs are missing.  Some
workloads may not generate particular types of traffic so some stats are
missing.  Also, some stats are collected on server- or client-side
only (e.g. hit ratios are collected on client-side).  So if a report is
generated using logs from only one side, corresponding stats would be
missing.

Of course, it does not mean there can not be bugs related to report
generation or stats recording.  So please let us know if you find
anything suspicious.

> Another question is I find when the client finished all the phases, it will
> quit automatically. But why Server is still running?

A workload may use multiple polygraph-server and polygraph-client
processes.  Some of these processes may be "faster" than other.  Because
of that, there may still be clients running (and sending requests) even
after a server finishes the last phase.  So if the server quits, those
clients would start getting errors when sending requests to this
server.  This is why all servers have implicit "cold" phase at the end.

> Can I stop it using
> some options?

If you know that all clients have finished, you can stop the server
(e.g. with a keyboard interrupt).  Otherwise, it would quit on idle
timeout.  Idle timeout is 5min on server-side by default and can be
changed with --idle_tout option.

> If I missed something apparently, I apologize first.

I hope the above helps.  If you still have troubles understanding why
some stats are missing, please consider sending your binary logs and/or
HTML report (you can send it in private if you prefer).  And note which
version of Web Polygraph you are using.

Regards,
  Dmitry